28 September 2020
Because of the way that materials are mixed, the famous Pringles tube has been called a “recycling nightmare.. until now.
Invented in 1956, the Pringles tube was designed to address customer complaints about broken chips and air in the bags. By now, it’s iconic. However, times call for a change.
Although it’s very practical, the famous Pringles tube has been called a “recycling nightmare” because of the way that materials are mixed.
The tube has a metal base and tear-off lid, a plastic cap, and a foil-lined cardboard sleeve, which make it almost impossible to recycle, according to the Recycling Association.
Kellogg plans to change that and give Pringles a new can design, one that meets modern recycling standards.
This new can is made of 90% paper, and the rest of 10% is a plastic barrier that protects the chips from oxygen and moisture damage.
Kellogg has two options for the lid, a paper and a plastic one, both recyclable, on trial in Tesco stores.
According to the Recycling Association, the redesign is a welcome change, but it’s not perfect because the plastic lid could still be left behind in nature and add to the existing waste problem.
The Pringles tube is finally getting a recycling-friendly design